Vaigai Dam is one of the most important tourist places in ‘Madurai’. All age peoples can visit this place.It attracts many children also.
It is situated in the Theni district of Tamilnadu near andipatti village. It is 7 kms from Andipatti, 14 kms from Theni and 70 kms from Madurai.
The vaigai dam provides water for irrigation for the Madurai district and the Dindigul district as well as drinking water to Madurai and Andipatti.
Vaigai Dam was inaugurated by Tamil Nadu “chief Minister Mr. K .Kamaraj” on 21 January 1959.Vaigai Dam measures for about 111 ft in height and can store water up to 71 ft, with a total storage capacity of 6,143 mcft.
Vaigai Dam is maintained so well by the ‘Water Resources Department’ which in turn managed by the Tamil Nadu Public Works Department.
The dam is unique for the sylvan garden around it. The stillness and quiet are soothing to the mind. The garden deserves the surname “Little Brindavan“. It is a popular picnic spot for the local population, particularly school children. There is a separate play area for the Tourist.
Although the dam itself is about 70 km from Madurai many visitors to the city drive out there to see the 106 foot high structure and to spend a few quiet hours relaxing in the park area below the dam.
Vaigai Dam Park
- A Small and beautiful park is maintained by the Water Resources Department on both sides of the Dam.
- On one side of the dam there is a beautiful garden with all kinds of exotic flowers and plants.
- Beautiful Picturesque hills border the river on the other side.
- A small bridge connects the two sides of the park in front of the dam. The park also have a children play area.
- The park also consists of small trains for children.
Vaigai Hydroelectric Power Plant was design capacity of 6 MW. It has 2 unit(s) of 3 MW each. The first unit was commissioned in 1990 . It is operated by “Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation Limited (TANGEDCO).
There is also a facility of Boating is available in the water. But sometimes there will be less quantity of water means, so no boating.
- A musical dancing fountain constructed at a cost of Rs.34.2 lakh near the dam.
- The fountain will function between 6 a.m. and 8 p.m., on Saturdays, Sundays, and on government holidays.
- There is numerous food joints providing with several eating-out options present here. It is extremely essential savor the mouthwatering delights of sea food here. Near Vagai Dam, there are a several food joints and restaurants.
Best time to visit
- Vaigai Dam experiences a huge storage of water and so the weather is considerably cooler during all the periods of the year. It experiences a hot tropical weather along with a winter dry season. In general, the climate is seemingly of the tropical type.
- The best time to sojourn Vaigai Dam is from the month of October to February.
- The district and the vicinity experience a pleasant winter climate with modest temperatures during the months bearing summers.